Re: eastern gray squirrel-proofing

Marie is right! In an open area with 10 feet
circumference around it a tall baffled pole with the
baffle at or higher than 5 feet WORKS. I have had a
pole up in the only open area of my yard for  4 years
and this cylinder baffle(By the ERVA co. called a
raccoon baffle) I have a four hook pole with four
different feeders that the squirrels and raccoons
CANNOT get to. I haqve probably 30 squirrels in my
yard(4 acres of mixed hardwwod and pine) I feed them a
corn cob a day, and one half scoop of seed. I also
have the Absolute metal squirrel proof feeder that
shuts down with the weight of the squirrel and that
has worked great over the years.
The NUTTERY makes a great caged type tube feeder for
the little birds that you can put off your deck. and
that works very well.
I work at Outdoor Bird Co. in Raleigh and we sell all
these.
But I had bought these years before I started working
there and they have solved the problem of Hating the
squirrels and all that frustration. Raccoons have
actually been more difficult to deal with, so those of
you who don't have the raccons at night with their
little hands  are very lucky!
Kate
--- Marie La Salle <mlasalle@mindspring.com> wrote:
> We have a three quarter acre lot, partially treed
> and have made peace with
> out resident squirrels.  My husband got a 15 inch
> baffle cylinder, hollow ,
> like an inverted oatmeal box. and after many
> experiments set it on the right
> spot on a thin wrought iron shepherds crook support,
> a good distance away
> from trees and roof and so far the squirrels have
> been baffled.

===
Kate Finlayson
N. Chatham Co.,N.C.