RE: Tree rats

My solution to seed-stealing "tree rats" has been a pair of Retrievers.  I
trained them to chase squirrels off the feeders by making a game of chasing
squirrels.  Starting from my porch, I would run out to the platform feeder
saying "squirrel squirrel squirrel"  while the squirrel would obligingly run
away.  Of course two dogs with no other outlet for their hunting instinct
and energy would give chase.  I only had to do that twice. They caught on to
the game of "squirrel" very quickly and will now find and chase squirrels on
their own without me telling them "squirrel!"  Since the squirrels never get
caught, nobody gets hurt.  And now the dogs leave the birds at the feeders
alone since they understand that chasing squirrels gets them Milk Bones, as
well as the thrill of thinking they just might catch that tree rat for once.

While this solution isn't perfect, it has reduced the number of squirrels on
the feeders and the amount of time the fewer squirrels spend at my feeders.

I plan to continue this "Reign of Terror for Squirrels" as long as the dogs
have the energy and the eyesight to chase squirrels!

Donna Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com
    "Columbia Audubon Society"