Re: WB Nuthatches

In a message dated 3/8/01 12:41:52 PM, marmac1@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< What do you  use for snake guards for bluebird houses?  We have baffles on

metal poles for raccoon guards, but last year our "friendly" black rat snake

went over baffle.

Mary and all,
    We have 6" stove pipe, approx 2' in length, suspended @ 4-5" under our
pole-mounted Bluebird house.  The top of the pipe is fitted with 1/2"
hardware cloth, pretty snugly, so nothing can sneak through.  Make sure your
house isn't located near overhanging trees or nearby shrubs that could let
something could leap onto the house from above.     Also, not sure if this is
good to do or not, but:  after mysteriously having young birds disappear
shortly after hatching, someone said a Bluejay, Flying Squirrel, etc, could
have reached in the hole and pulled babies out, even though have an extra
piece of wood at entry hole.  So, I took out the piece of hardware cloth IN
the box that lets the nest sit slightly off the floor, to control Blowfly
larva, and gave the nest some extra distance below the hole.  That next nest
fledged successfully.  Though the fairly flightless fledglings decided to
spend their first 2 days in the tall grass under the kitchen window.  When I
saw a Black Racer circle around the front of the house heading straight for
the helpless guys, I ran outside and made noise with a stick in the leaf
litter and he headed away downslope and left them alone.
    I personally wouldn't use repellants, etc, I'de be too worried about the
toxicity to anything living, including the many lizards, skinks, etc, that we
have nearby, not to mention butterflies etc, that may alight on it.

Shelley Theye

Shelley Theye
N. Chatham County, NC
Psbmt@aol.com