wood ducks

We've observed a pair of wood ducks flying from tree
to tree where there are cavitites (we have lots).
Yesterday one female sat on a snag, checking out the
holes in it. We lost several large trees a few years
ago when we had a pond dug (which has attracted a
variety of ducks, but mostly wood ducks). I truly
grieved over the loss of the trees, but since then
we've had wood ducks nesting for three years in a row,
and pileateds too.

=====
--Linda Jeannette Ward
--P.O. Box 231