Make that 6 (SIX) heron nests!

Dear Birders,

It appears that there are six heron nests here at Greenview Pond.  There
were two in an area that I'd not looked before (to the west of the others).

This morning I also spotted:

Great Blue Heron (8)
Shoveler (1 male)
Tundra Swan (2)
Ring-necked duck (6)
Blue-Winged Teal (1)
Hooded Merganser (5)
Green-Winged Teal (6)
Red-Winged Blackbird (10-20)
Greater Yellowlegs (1)
Red-Bellied Woodpecker (1)
Killdeer
Canada Goose
Mallard

Didn't see any raptors, shrike, or wood duck...  It seems that the
ring-necked ducks like to hang around the tundra swans.  Perhaps the tundra
swans stir up tasty morsels that the ring-necked ducks like to eat.  The
tundra swans don't seem to mind, although yesterday I did see one try to nip
a ring-necked duck that surfaced a little too close.

Yard birds:
White-crowned sparrows (4 feeding on my patio)
Yellow-rumped warbler
Bluebird
Chickadee
Titmouse
House Finch
Robin

Didn't see any meadow larks...

I recently built a purple martin house and am anxiously awaiting their
arrival.

John Argentati
Greenview Pond
Raleigh, North Carolina

Greenview Pond is located on Blaney Franks Road, just west of Lake Wheeler,
in Raleigh North Carolina.  In spite of the fact that it's just a small farm
pond and marsh, the Wake County Audubon Society has observed over 200
species of birds there over the years.