Clarification on House Sparrows

The issue I am having is that I work with schools to enhance wildlife
habitat. We regularly give schools bluebird houses. At some sites, sparrows
quickly move in. We recommend placing the houses away from school buildings
to minimize sparrow infestation. At schools where we think it will be a
no-win situation, we no longer give them bird houses.
I am looking for "official" language that I can use to help explain to
average folks like teachers, students, parents, etc, many of whom feel a bird
is, indeed, a bird and certainly would not understand destroying nests of
sparrows.
We try to explain the issues, but it might help to have a strong biological
argument sanctioned by a natural resource agency.
Thanks
Mike