Parasitic Jaeger at Litchfield, SC

Our group from two area bird clubs made it to the South Carolina low
country this past weekend (3/15-18).   I'm working on a detailed report and
will submit highlights in the near future that include the elusive
Bachman's Sparrow inside Santee Coastal Reserve and Mississippi Kite,
Warbling Vireo and Orange-crowned Warber at HBSP.

There were several trip highlights but I have to say my personal highlight
was the Parasitic Jaeger that made a sudden appearance over the shoreline
in front of Litchfield Inn-Oceanfront around 6 p.m. Friday, March
16.  After a full day of birding Santee Coastal Reserve and Santee-Delta
most of us were inside our individual rooms either settling in for the
evening or preparing to head out to dinner.

I had opted to stay in and had just gotten comfortable on the balcony with
binoculars and scope.  The setting sun was casting a golden hue and a group
of Brown Pelican, in single file formation, were low over the water,
gliding on outstretched wings, ever so slightly tilting right wing tips
toward the water.  A few Bonaparte's and Common Loons were sitting on the
relatively calm water and Forster's Terns were patrolling the surf with an
occasional nose (bill) dive into the chilly waters.

The picturesque setting was having a calming effect that was soon shattered
with the sudden arrival of two birds directly in front, low over the
water.  My quiet solitude quickly changed gears.  For the next several
seconds, I was witness to a most incredible aerial display as the black
"falcon-like" bird gave chase after the Forster's Tern.  The long slender,
pointed wings with wrists pulled forward were clearly built for speed.  The
tern would dive and suddenly pull up and seemed to head toward the skies,
shaking and turning.  The pursuer never missed a beat and remained on a
steady course, turning and diving, intent on it's target.   They were close
in to shore, over the breakers, and low, at times eye level from my 6th
floor balcony, at other times below eye level.  As quickly as they first
appeared, they disappeared, the Forster's Tern heading NE out over the
ocean with the Parasitic Jaeger in hot pursuit.

Although no photographs were taken, I drew sketches and wrote down detailed
notes immediately after my observations BEFORE checking reference guides
the following morning.  (My guide books, including Seabirds, were out in my
van and I was too pooped to put shoes back on and walk out to parking lot.)

The following morning several other birders just happened to be on their
second floor balconies and saw a very dark black-like, long pointed winged
bird chasing a smaller white bird

Best wishes,

Brenda Tekin