way cool yard bird

Hi y'all,
    This afternoon while taking a brief respite from paperwork, I milled
about in the yard observing a few of my favorite things. The omnipresent
Rock Doves abruptly vacated the premises, and all of the little guys
disappeared and became deathly silent. I started looking for the friendly
little Sharpie, and thought I spotted it in the top of a sycamore in the
back yard. The very top. I thought that was a pretty bold perch, even for a
fearless Sharpie. I stepped inside, grabbed my bins, and was quite surprised
to find a Merlin surveying this little corner of the world! It stayed for
perhaps two minutes, looking picture perfect against a clear Carolina blue
sky. Woohoo!
    Over the course of the next hour (like I could go straight back to work;
yeah, right) also saw a Red-shouldered Hawk soaring and calling, a
Red-tailed Hawk soaring, a pair of Turkey Vultures, and the unnervingly bold
Sharp-shinned Hawk, who perched on the feeder pole, then once again flew by
me at arm's length.
    Pretty sporty raptors for an hour in downtown Podunk. You'd think there
was a migration or something going on.
    Odyssey update: 180.

Cheers,
Gary

Gary Phillips
Conway, SC
 Zone 8
axis1@sccoast.net
"Only under the condition of ordeal may I recover the sparrow." (Walker
Percy)