Triangle weekend birding and CHBC

Howdy,

Joe and I led a Wake Audubon field trip Saturday morning to a few sites listed in "A Birdwatcher's Guide to the Triangle." (By the way, the book costs $11; contact me for more information!)Sixteen birders started birding on a beautiful spring morning at Mason Farm in Chapel Hill where we saw lingering winter species and a few new spring arrivals:White-throated Sparrow, Yellow-breasted Sapsucker, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Dark-eyed Junco, Hermit Thrush, Ruby-crwoned Kinglet, Purple Martin, Osprey, and Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. There was a nice kettle of Turkey and Black Vultures soaring with two Red-tailed Hawks.A pair of Osprey soared overhead, with one flying close by for a great look. Pine Warblers, chickadees, cardinals, bluebirds, towhees, and Carolina Wrens were singing pretty songs.It's always a treat to see brilliant Red-headed Woodpeckers!

Next we birded Big Woods Road swamp where we saw the Great Blue Heron nests Rob reported last week. Then we decided to check Seaforth SRA at Jordan Lake where we did not see eagles; only a few cormorants, Ring-billed Gulls, Red-winged Blackbirds, and a Brown-headed Nuthatch.

Most of the birders left for home, but I needed to deliver more books to McIntyres in Fearington Village. Along the way on 64 we saw a few Tree Swallows. Then I suggested checking for the Barred Owls at UNC that I'm happy to say we saw. There was also a flock of Cedar Waxwings.

It was a fun day of birding!!

Remember you're invited to hear Lena Gallitano talk about her trip to Attu at the Chapel Hill Bird Club meeting tonight,7:30 pm at Binkley Baptist Church.

Happy birding!!

Karen Bearden
Raleigh