Alligator River NWR birds

	Took some time off and went out on the ARNWR friday to check on early
migrants and my wintering sparrows. Sparrows first - the Fish & Wildlife
folks have "bush-hogged" all the ditch banks/farm field edges, so most of
that sparrow habitat is gone. Sure wish they could have waited another 2 or
3 weeks! Anyway, there are still a few Grasshopper Sparrows out there and I
found one Lincoln's in some taller shrubs that did not get cut at the
intersection of Creef Road and Long Curve Road. There has been a Lincoln's
in this spot all winter.
	As far as spring warblers, I found a Yellow-throated and 2 Black-throated
Greens. I also saw a Blue-headed Vireo that had practically no contrast in
color between the back and head. Both were an olive/gray color without the
usual blue/gray head. I guess this was a bird of the appalachian race.
	Surprising was the fact that I heard no White-eyed Vireos singing in spite
of the fact that they numerous in Buxton two weeks ago (and again this
weekend).
	As a bonus, there was a "tame" second year Bald Eagle perched in a tree by
the road. It allowed very good looks. A Red-tailed Hawk sat in a nearby pine
and screamed at the eagle for quite a while. At the same time, a Cooper's
Hawk flew in off one of the fields, perched in a tree, and proceded to be
attacked by a Kestrel!
	Also, two Red Wolves were howling out a field - I watched them a while
during which time they flushed a large rail - King, presumably. Later, after
I had forgotten about the wolves, a Navy/Air Force jet flew over and started
them howling again!
	Cheers,
	Jeff Lewis
	Manteo, NC