Deer as songbird predators

Hi,

  This was recently posted to the New York State bird list, and I thought it
would be of interest elsewhere.  I'm not sure if the deer population
explosion has hit the Carolinas yet.

Bob Lewis
Sleepy Hollow NY

**********

White-tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus) Predation on Grassland Songbird
Nestlings by Pamela J. Pietz1 and Diane A. Granfors

Abstract: White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) were videotaped
depredating four songbird nests in grassland habitats in southeastern and
northcentral North Dakota, 1996-1999. Deer ate two Savannah sparrow
(Passerculus sandwichensis), two grasshopper sparrow (Ammodramus
savannarum), one clay-colored sparrow (Spizella pallida), one red-winged
blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) and three brown-headed cowbird (Molothrus
ater) nestlings. Deer removed nestlings quickly (5-19 sec/nest) at night
(22:00 to 05:17 Central Daylight Time) and left no evidence of predation.
Although probably opportunistic, deer predations clearly were deliberate
and likely are more common than generally believed.

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/2001/deerpred/deerpred.htm

cite reference as: Pietz, Pamela J., and Diane A. Granfors. 2000.
White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) predation on grassland songbird
nestlings. American Midland Naturalist 144(2):419-422. Jamestown, ND:
Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center Home Page:
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/2001/deerpred/deerpred.htm
(Version 09MAR2001).

*********