Deer as songbird predators

Dear Carolina birders:

Interesting note from NY. I have never been certain about deer predation of
songbirds, but have suspected it for years having watched deer on my
pastures at dusk. Grasshopper Sparrows, Chipping Sparrows, Killdeer,
Meadowlarks, and Bobwhite are much less common here than they were in the
early '90's, with no change in management or stocking rates other than the
local deer herd roughly quadrupling since 1993. This may be the reason.

If the deer population in the rest of the state explodes as it has in
Alleghany and Ashe counties in the last 5 years, this could be yet another
serious factor affecting reproduction of many species of songbirds. I had
been aware of deer overbrowsing woodlands for years, but not of direct
predation. A browse line has developed in the wooded areas of this area,
and it has been virtually impossible to establish new pine or hardwood
plantations since '97. This has led to a reduction of breeding and foraging
habitat for a number of songbird species.

The last estimate that I heard, unofficially, from NC WRC personnel was
that the deer herd here had reached over 75 animals per square mile, or
about three times carrying capacity. There is virtually nothing that can be
done about it, legally. The most I have seen on my pastures at one time is
68.

The only positive aspect of having a plague of deer on one's farm is that
on rare occasions, one gets the opportunity to feed one to a Golden Eagle.

James Coman