Deer predation

     Before we make any rash decisions that deer are
wiping out our songbirds, remember this paper says
that this was over 4 years.  There were 4 nests of the
132 (3%)nests monitored that were predated by
whitetails, an average of 1 nest per year.  I think
that the habitat destruction by the deer population
being over the carrying capacity probably is having a
greater effect on nesting songbirds.
     There are also legal means for reducing the deer
population in areas in North Carolina.  There are
thousands of ethical hunters in North Carolina that
take to the field every fall.  Whether you want deer
hunters on your property or not is your decision.
Also attend meetings of the NC Wildlife Resources
Commission and relay your feelings on overpopulation
in the NW mountains.  They can manage the legal
harvest in order to increase the number of deer taken.
 I know that there are probably many subscribers to
Carolinabirds that are against hunting but until
natural predators are returned to the landscape this
population boom will increase, especially with farming
practices supplementing the natural food sources.
Most accounts state that there are more whitetails
present in North America than ever before.  A small
mast crop definitely would have less effect now than
it would have 150 years ago.  Anyhow I know that I
will probably be bombarded with replies.

Brian Van Druten
Frisco, NC