Survey for book on African-American Birders

I am forwarding a survey request from an African-American ornithologist who
is researching and writing a book on the subject of black birders.  He would
like to get as many responses as possible from birders to a simple survey.
It seems like a really worthwhile project.

Please RESPOND DIRECTLY TO JOHN ROBINSON, either by email or snail mail. All
the info you should need is below.  {To take the survey right now, hit
reply, delete "carolinabirds" and put in John Robinson's email address
(logshrike@compuserve.com), scroll down and answer the questions in the
message, then send on to him}
Chris Canfield
Executive Director
NC State Office, National Audubon Society
410 Airport Rd.
Chapel Hill, NC  27514
919-929-3899/fax: 919-929-4599
email: ccanfield@audubon.org

>From John Robinson:

"The Black Birder: An Endangered Species on the Brink of Recovery" will
examine the fact that relatively few African-American bird watchers exist in
North America.  I will also offer inspiration and encouragement to all
minorities to become more active in birdwatching and the study of nature.
The book will feature three prominent African-American bird watchers in
addition to myself, and it will explain how each of us got started studying
birds.  I believe the book will be a real role model for black youth and
young adults who also want to study nature.

The reason why I am writing to you is that in order to complete my book I
need to conduct some basic research that gets at the heart of the problem
that I am investigating.  To that end, I have developed a questionnaire that
can be completed by any bird watcher.  The American Birding
Association has been gracious enough to post a pdf copy of the questionnaire
on their web site--> see
http://americanbirding.org/newsbullet12a.htm

-------
here is the survey in plain text form if you'd rather reply right now.  You
can print out and mail to: John C. Robinson, 1470 Creekside Dr., Suite 23,
Walnut Creek, CA 94596.  Or you can send via email to
logshrike@compuserve.com

SURVEY

John C. Robinson, an author and professional ornithologist in California, is
conducting research on minorities in bird watching.  The results of this
research may subsequently appear in a book.  If you would like to contribute
to this research, please fill out the questionnaire below.

How many years have you been birdwatching?

What is your state (or Province) of residence?

(If you live outside of North America, simply list your country of
residence)

Have you ever met a black (African American) bird watcher?            Yes
No

If Yes, approximately how many black birders have you met?

If Yes, of the total listed above (and to the best of your memory), please
indicate below how many black birders you have met in which states or
Canadian provinces: (e.g., New Jersey-2, North Carolina-1, British
Columbia-1; no need to put zero states/provinces):

Have you ever met one or more other minority birders in North America?
Yes             No

If so, please indicate the race/national origin of other minority birders
you have met (you may check more than one):

American Indian or Alaska Native
Asian or Pacific Islander
Hispanic

Other.  Please specify:

Your comments are welcome! If you have any comments, you may record them
here:

OPTIONAL:
Your Name:
Phone Number: