RE: stunned towhee?

Driving on NC 55 towards Durham one morning I passed a mockingbird sprawled
on the center line.  I pulled off the road.  I waited for a gap in the
traffic while holding my breath every time a car went by the bird.  The
mocker did not resist being picked up.  There was no obvious damage to the
bird so I concluded that it was probably stunned like the towhee.  As I
could not take a bird where I was going, I found some thick cover nearby and
placed the bird there.

Hopefully the bird recovered.  Better chance in the shrubbery than the
center line.

I've had birds stunned from a collision with house windows too.  The "best"
collision story is the cooper's hawk that was chasing a pigeon at work.  The
pigeon did a last minute dodge from the huge windows.  The hawk collided.  I
retrieved that stunned bird very carefully and placed it in a box.  The fun
began when the bird revived and we discovered that it was injured.  We then
had to retrieve one active, injured hawk.  The hawk was sent to the Carolina
Raptor Center for rehabilitation.

Sue Pulsipher
Linden, NC
puls@infi.net