it is spring

On Thursday after our 2 inches of rain had fallen, I was thrilled to hear a
single "zzeeee-UP" of a Northern Parula.  At dusk I also heard the song of
the Louisiana Waterthrush who lives behind the dam.  When I walked out to
check the water level in the pond, I was surprised to find five Purple
Martins aerial feeding and twittering over the pond.

Construction on the Phoebe nest continues, albeit slowly.  I am still
hearing the Phoebe in the yard, so I continue to hope.  Other nesters in the
yard now include Carolina Chickadees in one of the Bluebird boxes. I
discovered the velvet moss and fur nest last week, complete with sitting
female and four tiny eggs.  I am not sure who was more surprised when I
opened the box, expecting nothing - me or the sitting Chickadee.

Also of note is the official mark of the beginning of spring - chigger
bites.  It is my displeasure to report the first (and second and third)
chigger bite of the season.

Happy spring!

Donna Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com
     "Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina"