Snipe

There were 200+ Common Snipe in the field next to VanWingerden Greenhouse
Company on 191 near Hendersonville today.  As I was driving by I saw them
popping up all over so I decided to walk through and see how many there
were.  At one time there were at least 200 stirred up and flying overhead
and there were probably others still on the ground.  This field always has
lots of snipe in it in the winter, usually about 50 or so, but this must have
included some migrants.  This is a large field that has large sections
continuously under water in the winter.  It also attracts lots of Savannah
Sparrows and Meadowlarks.

For you folks in the northern mountains who haven't seen any warblers yet,
we (Wayne, Bob, and I) just saw the first La Waterthrush and B W Warblers
here in the southern mountains on Saturday.  The waterthrush were singing
on territory on the Rocky Broad River in Bat Cave and Chimney Rock.  The
B W's were at Chimney Rock Park.  Surprisingly, no BTG Warblers yet,
but they should be here any time.

--- Marilyn Westphal

--- mwestph763@earthlink.net