Bachman's Sparrow in Sampson Co.

Folks:
	I poked around an extensive area of longleaf pines in central Sampson
Co., east of Salemburg, on March 31. I heard a Bachman's Sparrow
singing, presumably on territory, from a grassy area adjacent to
longleaf pines. The area has had Red-cockaded Woodpeckers in the past,
though I did not see or hear any. A pair I think is still present at the
adjacent Longwood Country Club. Other birds of interest were my first
Ovenbird of the year, a Black-and-white Warbler, and the usual resident
species (such as Brown-headed Nuthatch). I was surprised NOT to have
heard Priarie Warblers; perhaps they are late in arriving (if it nests
at this site at all).

I don't think Bachman's has ever been reported from Sampson Co. before,
at least not singing on territory.

I also saw a gray-phase Fox Squirrel at the site.

--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program