Morning Chorus

I don't know many bird calls or songs, so when I heard two beautiful songs
in my yard this AM, I headed out with my binocs. Bird #1 took about a full
20 minutes to find, as it stopped singing for about 10 of those minutes
before I finally found it foraging on the ground. It then alighted onto an
above branch and started singing again. A Hermit Thrush! Never thought I'd
ever hear one sing. Bird #2 I knew I'd heard before, it had been pointed out
on numerous spring bird counts, but it slipped my mind. It was coming from
the creek that meanders through our backyard, so I headed over there. I
immediatly heard a Red-shouldered Hawk calling in the distance, but that
obviously wasn't it. A saw flutter in the corner of my eye, and I saw a bird
singing that wonderful song. Binoculars revealed a wonderful Louisiana
Waterthrush! Both were outstanding additions to my yard list. Hopefully I
can remember what they sound like this time!

Roger Shaw
Raleigh, NC