Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:04:36 -0700
From: Robin Carter <rcarter@sc.rr.com>
To: Joshua Stuart Rose <jsr6@duke.edu>
Subject: Re: Collard Doves, Swainson's Warblers, Wetland protection

Josh,

While Eurasian Collared-Doves are most often found in urban situations, and
are almost always found close to human habitations, we see a fair number in
SC out in the country, both in the Piedmont and in the Coastal Plain.  Just
last Saturday I found my first Eurasian Collared-Dove in Darlington County,
SC. It was in a rural area in the extreme western part of the county, but it
was on a powerline in front of someone's home.

Most Mourning Doves in SC are also found in conjunction with human altered
landscapes.  There are a few in wild places, such as Congaree Swamp NM, but
doves in general hang out with people and domestic animals.  This is true
even of Common Ground-Doves in South Carolina, away from coastal dunes,
which was probably the only "natural" place the species ever occurred.
Doves follow people, for the most part.