Sassafrass Mountain (SC)

As of Saturday morning, 14 April, Worm-eating Warbler, Hooded Warbler,
Ovenbird, and Black-throated Blue Warbler were singing on Sassafrass
Mountain, joining Black-and-White Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler,
Northern Parula, and Louisiana Waterthrush, all of which arrived earlier in
the month.  I saw one Black-throated Green building a nest.  Both Red-eyed
and Blue-headed Vireos are on territory; the latter are paired up and
building nests.

Migrating birds were scarce on the mountain Saturday morning.  I did see a
good number of Yellow-rumps, but the only other migrant I saw was a
beautiful male Rose-breasted Grosbeak.  I did hear a Scarlet Tanager, but I
couldn't locate the bird.

Jim Edwards
jim.edwards@furman.edu