Upper Little River, Harnett County

      My fishing partner and I put in on Upper Little River at US 401
south of Lillington about 9 a.m. this morning.  We paddled upstream
fairly steadily for an hour, then fished our way back to the landing,
taking out about 2 p.m.  The fishing was good.  Birds were
everywhere.  So were dragonflies, but they didn't allow close enough
looks for ids.
      Birds:  we were seldom out of hearing range of at least one
prothonotary warbler.  We saw a good many--no need to get binoculars
out.  We saw at least one summer tanager (checked with binoculars,
because there were cardinals in the same bunch of birds).  We had
probable ids on both red-tailed and red-shouldered hawks, but never
got binocs on them to be certain.  I heard what sounded like
red-shouldered, but there were lots of blue jays in the area too.  We
heard a barred owl call twice.  I heard what sounded like a common
yellowthroat, pished long enough to find the bird, which we could
barely see in a tangle of undergrowth, but it moved away before we
could get a positive id.  Frustrating.
      There were numerous small birds that we didn't attempt to id.

Bob

Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu