Irvin Farm, Carrboro arrivals

Hi Carolinabirders,

Today the Duke Natural History Society made its second trip to Irvin
Farm, a tract of land near Carrboro which is soon to be donated to the
Triangle Land Conservancy. Unlike the Duke campus and our backyard on
Ninth Street, both of which are still occupied predominantly by winter
species, at Irvin spring was in full swing! We heard at least eight
warbler species, including Ovenbird (also seen), Hooded, Prairie, and
Northern Parula. In addition, we saw an Indigo Bunting and two Ruby-
throated Hummingbirds, and heard Scarlet Tanager, Wood Thrush, and three
vireos including a Blue-headed that Will Cook thought might stay to nest.
Assuming that it does, the only definite non-breeding migrant on the day
was a Black-throated Green Warbler.

The day was also productive for other taxa; leps included a few
Harvesters, odes included some Twin-spotted Spiketails (Cordulegaster
maculata), both of which were firsts for me; and at least three frog
species and a Northern Watersnake. We also enjoyed a huge variety of
mosses and liverworts and a few other interesting plants, courtesy of Dr.
Jon Shaw from Duke. Unfortunately, it was also productive for ticks. I
got home ninety minutes ago and am still finding them, I think my total
is approaching 20!

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose