NE NC Day trip

Currituck County:  3 Wild Turkey's in field across and just south of the
visitors center in Coinjock, NC. These birds were relatively close to the
east side of Hwy 168. If you look in the field directly easy of the
Waterfall Park "Stock Car" billboard, you might see them along the patch of
woods running perpendicular to the road. 2 of the males were displaying nicely.

Dismal Swamp: The boardwalk along the Geo Washington ditch yielded 2
Ovenbirds, a really beautiful male Yellow-rumped (hate 'em in winter, love
'em in spring)!) and more calling Prothonotory Warbler's than we could
count. Not rare, but a beautiful male Prarie Warbler was pished out at
eye-level.

Along Jericho Ditch Rd we heard two calling Swainson's Warblers, several
Red-Eyed Vireo's and a Hairy Woodpecker. Along the ditch itself more
Swainson's calling and a White-Eyed vireo.

Merchant's Millpond: White-Eyed vireo (1), Yellow throated warbler (1
male), Common yellow throats (lots and lots), Swainson's Warblers (2
heard). This was along the Coleman Trail.

At the home front, still no Chuck's Wills, and our female chickadee is
incubating in the bluebird box.

Russ & Rose Lay
Nags Head, NC