Odd Parula

Dear Carolinabirders:

While in SE Colorado last weekend Lois, Norm Budnitz and I saw a parula
warbler that has left me puzzling.  Have any of you ever seen a bird like this:

In all ways it appeared to be a female N. Parula, except the bird had a
very dark face patch and the split eye ring was only barely visible at
close range in full sun.  The extant of yellow (with no hint of a breast
band), and the extant of gray in the malar region were consistent with N.
Parula.  Dunn and Garrett do mention the possibility of hybrids (Northern x
Tropical). Hmmmmmmm???  Any comments?

Mike Schultz
mschultz@duke.edu