Local trips and back yard Worm-Eating W.

For those around Raleigh who may have interest, we went to Shepherd's Trail
in Duke Forest for first time last Friday and it was very quiet. Only saw
BH vireo and Palm warbler, and heard very little . Only butterfly of the
day was a Gemmed Satyr. Then went to Botanical gardens to look at
wildflowers and they were a good show. No birds there either.   On Sat. we
went to Pump Station Trail in Eno St. Pk. for first time and had much
better luck hearing the expected migrants and others. Best birds  were a
Hermit Thrush and 2 Wood Thrushes on the path together. Wildflowers were
numerous there. Next went over to Penny's Bend and wildflowers were
disappointing, but got a few BFs (Carolina Satyr and Spicebush ST) and a
few good birds. Best to me was hearing Barred Owl on other side of Eno and
an Osprey flying over. At neither place did we hear a YT warbler. which we
thought unusual.

Our best luck Saturday was in the backyard at 6:30 pm when we were sitting
out on the deck and spotted a Palm and a Prarie Warbler , neither making a
sound. With the cold weather  Chipping Sparrows, RC Kinglets, and Cedar
Waxwings have come back this week. On Thurs. best bird was a Worm-eating
Warbler (not singing) playing around the dogwoods and pools. Also a Field
and Swamp Sparrow came yesterday and still there this morning. Only the
Palm W. was new to our back yard, giving us #102. Many years we add nothing
new. Am hoping this spring we can add a few more, especially warblers.
Twenty one is not bad, but 30 would be better! Hate to be at work today;
just know I'm missing something good at home.

Gail Lankford
Raleigh