Great Crested Fly; Re: blackburnian?; another opportunity

Hi Carolinabirders,

Walking in again today, heard my first of the year Great Crested
Flycatcher calling in the Duke west campus main quad. Later in the day,
taught my class outside. Not until class was over and the students had
all left did another grad student join me outside and point out the
female Northern Cardinal on a nest (probably brooding chicks) about 10
feet from where I'd been standing during class!

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Kate Finlayson wrote:

> To those of you who know, Is it possible to see a
> Blackburnian warbler at Mason Farm in Chapel Hill?
> Yesterday, around 11 am, I am 90% sure I saw a
> Blackburnian warbler on a forest edge mixed with other
> birds in a pine tree. Bright orange throat and black
> and white stripy.(not burnt orange)

Hey, with birds, who can say what's possible and what's not?
Blackburnian is more common around here in fall than in spring, but I
had a singing male in my former backyard last year around this time... As
for established patterns, the Triangle Checklist shows Blackburnian as
"rare" through all of April and most of May, so if one were to show up,
this would be prime time for it...

Pasted below, another opportunity for volunteers to hawkwatch in Latin
America. While the Veracruz site is the really famous, stupendous one,
Costa Rica has more species of resident raptors and other birds, and more
biodiversity in general...

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose