RE: Worm-eating Watbler at Johnston Rd

Just to keep folks clear... the "worms" they eat are actually lepidopteran
larvae ("inch-worms").  Almost all migrants, especially warblers, utilize
this diverse and bountiful resource during the breeding season.

If anyone is interested in a well established red-headed woodpecker colony
in Raleigh, there is one located on the Loblolly Trail at Schenck Forest
thanks to Hurricane Fran and some industrious beavers.  We counted at
leasted five birds on Friday.  The colony is located on the north end of
Schenck where Richland creek empties into the lake/wetland.
Lots of green herons in the wetland.

Heard a true story of a lady with a green heron nesting in her back yard.
No lakes are nearby.  However, she has a water garden that she continually
stocks with gold fish.  It seems as if there is a completely different
concept of bird feeder here.

Kendrick C. Weeks
Graduate Student
Campus Box 7617