first Boone scarlet tanagers

This morning I awoke to that burry song that I've been awaiting.  Two of
'em, singin' and callin' incessantly.  And one, as always, over the
driveway.  The other, singing and calling and seeming to circle the other
from a distance.  Setting up?  I think so.  This is the fourth year in a row
that I have had one appear like this.

Humanity is exalted not because we are so far above other living creatures,
but because knowing them well elevates the very concept of life.    Edward
O. Wilson

Jason Bulluck
Masters Candidate,
Appalachian State University, Biology