Migrants passing us by? On-line interview, etc.

Hi Carolinabirders,

Pasted below: an announcement about an interview with Greg Budney,
curator of Cornell's Library of Natural Sounds, to be aired May 13 at 5
PM. The radio station mentioned is simulcast over the web; URL is
http://www.wicn.org/

Wierd spring! The nice weather continues to blow the migrants on by us
(as well as tragically drying out some usually wet areas of the
sandhills, as we saw during Saturday's NHAS trip). Listservs and RBAs in
Michigan, Chicago, Massachusetts and elsewhere are noting the first
arrivals of breeding species like Yellow Warbler, Northern Waterthrush,
Blackburnian Warbler, Warbling Vireo, even Blackpoll. Sounds like most
species are stopping once along the Gulf Coast to refuel (all species are
showing up in TX and FL), then taking off and not stopping again until
they reach their breeding grounds. But hey, weather forecast makes it
sound like a cold front is on the way tonight, so tomorrow morning might
be good...

Heard the Prairie Warbler on Oregon St. in Durham again, on yet another
walk to the bus stop. Can't imagine that it'll nest there; there's a nice
patch of woods, but outside the woods it's pretty manicured with very
little of the edge habitat that Prairie's usually stick to. But maybe it
likes the little scrubby pines along the edge of Erwin Park.

Virginia listserv has some interesting comments about Mississippi Kites,
including a sighting of one from Roanoke Rapids, NC. I was under the
impression that the nesting birds of this species around Laurinburg were
the northernmost extent of the MIKI's breeding range, but apparently they
are breeding in Virginia now too. I wonder why, if this is true, are they
not found more often in the northern NC coastal plain?

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University