Summer tanager at suet cake

It was less than one year ago that I learned about the suet cakes with
hot peppers to discourage racoons and squirrels.  I have enjoyed Downy
Woodpeckers, Pine Warblers, Y. rumped warblers and C. Wrens at the cake
since then.  Today, the local male Summer Tanager has started eating the
suet.  How did we live so long without a suet cake?
    The only caveat is that a racoon will tear down everything to get to
a suet cake until he has had a taste of the hot peppers.

John Daughtry
Greenville, NC
cbirds@coastalnet.com