RE: phoebe nest in defiance of gravity

While the porch Phoebes gave up construction some weeks ago for unknown
reasons, I did find what I assumed was the creekbottom Phoebes' nest weekend
before last.   The Phoebes pointed me to it.  When I checked under the
bridge, I saw a Phoebe flying away from a particular point.  Looking back, I
found the nest just as Ginger described, apparently balanced on a 1/2" ledge
of old "dirt dauber" or "mud dauber" nests.  I figured it had to be stuck up
on the pier of the bridge with some mud or something that the Phoebes would
have brought in.  It was quite an engineering marvel to me.  It looked
almost complete.  A check this week found that the nest and the old wasps'
nests were gone completely from the piers of the bridge.  The creek hasn't
risen that high in the entire time we have lived here.  While the wind might
have dislodged the Phoebe nest, it would not have destroyed the wasps' nest.
I don't know what removed the Phoebe nest and the wasps' nest.

Donna Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com
     "Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina"