Shepherd Trail this morning

Hey folks,

Josh and I went to the Shepherd Trail (Durham, NC) this morning. We
actually wanted to go to the Butner Gamelands, but Josh (who has been
getting a lot more senile the past few weeks) locked his keys in the car
and it took us too long to get them out, so time was short.
On the way to Shepherd, we stopped at a Cypress Swamp along Old Erwin Rd.
where I finally got my first Prothonotary Warbler (just about getting time...).

Along the Shepherd Trail and its parking lot itself, we found 8 more
warblers and a lot more other cool stuff:
- 1 singing Black-throated Blue Warbler
- 1 singing Hooded Warbler
- lots of Red-eyed Vireos
- Parula (singing), Black/white ( 1 also seen), Ovenbird, Yellowthroat
- a pair of Summer Tanagers
- Accipiter spec. (1) (our guess was Cooper's)

All in all a worthwhile excursion

Frank E. Rheindt
Biology Department
Duke University