Eno SP Birding 101 and Hemlock Bluffs

Hi Folks,

Sat am Edith Tatum led the birding 101 group on the tour of Eno SP
Fews Ford area. Lots were seen, but the highlights follow:

Many singing Indigo buntings
Good views of singing prairie warblers
A singing male blue grosbeak
field sparrows
WT sparrow (still hanging around)
my first scarlet tanager
E. phoebes
my first orchard oriole (immature male)
my first black-throated blue warbler (skillfully pished up by Edith)
heard a yellow-breasted chat
black and white warbler
Possible northern harrier

Previous to the tour I got very good views of 2 fighting N parulas
and a red-eyed vireo. The vireo was singing from a low tree branch
just 10 feet or so off the ground. The parulas were so busy rumbling
they didn't notice me until they were maybe only 6 feet away!

Later in the day I stopped by Hemlock Bluffs in Cary and got another
great view of a red-eyed vireo AND my second black-throated blue! Law
of birding number 23: once you see your first, they are suddenly
everywhere!

This season has been spectacular for me so far, hope it continues!

And a happy 10th anniversary at Eno, Edith!

Steve Perry

Receptor Biology Lab, Duke Uni Med Center, Durham, NC

stevep@receptor-biol.duke.edu