Yard birds in N Chatham County

Greetings,
Since the reports of Blackburnian warblers in the Piedmont have been few, I
thought I'd alert those of you in northern Chatham County that they are in
our midst. (Kate, do you still have one?)  Saturday am early I started out
around "the block" of mostly deciduous woods. In the driveway I looked up to
see a bright orange throat but saw little more. Not really trusting myself,
I thought it might be a Blackburnian since nothing else I knew of had such a
throat, but then I dismissed it.  Later that afternoon after seeing several
Black-throated blue warblers, female and male Scarlet tanagers, male and
female Rose-breasted grosbeaks at the sunflower feeder, hearing but not
seeing the Hooded, there was a new song, like a Parula ascending but instead
of trilling over the edge, the song went even further into some higher
auditory realm.  This time I saw the male Blackburnian well and what may
have been a female not far away.  If that weren't enough, Sunday brought a
new bird too - my first (juvenile) Starling.  I had to search Sibley to
figure out what it was - good sized and medium gray. After almost 5 years of
yard-listing I finally have a Starling and a Blackburnian.

Patsy Bailey
River Forest/Northern Chatham County
pbailey@fhi.org