Orange Variant Scarlet Tanager/Henderson County

Folks,
        This AM, while birding Jackson Park for a little while, I saw an
orange variant Scarlet Tanager.  I heard the bird singing, and saw flashes
of black and orange.  I first thought a Baltimore Oriole was present as
well, but when I was finally able to view the bird, it was in fact a Scarlet
Tanager. The color appeared similiar to a Baltimore Orioles orange color.
The head, neck, back and undersides were brilliant orange and the wings were
jet black, and the bill was dark as well.  There were patches of orange on
the wings near the shoulders and there were some yellow patches on the upper
sides of the chest as well.  It appeared that the molt was not complete.  I
later ran into Ron Selvey and he said he saw the bird as well.
        Overall, the spring migration in Jackson Park has been very, very
slow and disappointing.  This AM I had only 5 species of warblers which is
very poor for the park.

Regards,

Wayne
Wayne K. Forsythe