Lincoln's Sparrow near Columbia, SC

Hi gang,

I took a long lunch today to do a migration count for the Gulf Coast Bird
Observatory at SCE&G's Gardendale Access area on the Saluda River, near
Irmo, Lexington County, SC. The migration was very slow, but I get a good
look at a Lincoln's Sparrow, in underbrush with a couple of White-throated
Sparrows, near the northern (upstream) edge of the property.

I bring this up because we should be alert to the fact that the Lincoln's
Sparrow, a rather hard to find winter bird in the Carolinas, does migrate
through in May. I recall that Gary Graves and I once found a Lincoln's
Sparrow in late May in similar habitat (underbrush in a floodplain forest)
in West Virginia. So check out the White-throated Sparrows, and listen for
that funny House Wren like song!

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com