Alleghany access to New River SP & Lewis Fork Overlook

Visited the Alleghany access to New River State Park on Saturday morning for
the Blue Ridge Bird Club "warbler walk" and enjoyed good birding company and
many great birds...

Yellow Warbler
Golden-winged Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Northern Parula
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Yellow-throated Vireo
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-breasted Chat
Scarlet Tanager
Orchard Oriole
Baltimore Oriole
Red-winged Blackbird
Raven
Mallard
Canada Goose
American Goldfinch
Indigo Bunting
Rufous-sided Towhee
Robin
Spotted Sandpiper
Red-tailed Hawk
Osprey
Broad-winged Hawk
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
American Crow
Mourning Dove
Turkey
Ovenbird

If I left anything off, anyone else present may freely add to the list...

On Sunday, John Hardister and myself went to Lewis Fork Overlook (if you
would like to bird this area and need motel accomodations, the Park Vista
motel and restaurant is conveniently located just off the Parkway at
milepost 268). The next morning after an excellent country-style breakfast,
we set out for the overlook and were tremendously rewarded with the
following:

Cerulean Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Kentucky Warbler
American Redstart
Black-throated Green Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
Tennessee Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Indigo Bunting
Ruffed Grouse
Turkey
Finally by sight...Yellow-throated Vireo
Solitary Vireo
Ovenbird
Wood Thrush
Scarlet Tanager
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Chickadee
Carolina Wren
Rufous-sided Towhee

Get there in the next week or so before the leaves are completely out and
you will be likely be rewarded.

Eric Harrold
esharrol@email.uncc.edu
Charlotte, NC