Scissor-tailed Flycatchers

The scissor-tailed flycatchers have returned to Monroe.  We have seen
them sporadically since last week.  This morning I observed the female
building a nest in the same place as last year, in the north-west leg of
a high-tension power line tower where there are several braces that join
and the leg bends.

So far we have seen them in the early morning and again in the evening
after 5 PM.  We see them scouting for insects over the fields around the
tower.  With the building of the nest we think they will hang around
here and raise young like they did last year.

Our farm is located about 6 miles south of Monroe, NC  about 1/2 mile
off of Hwy. 207.

    Note:  they are a month earlier than last year.  I guess they knew
where they were going this time.

Anne & Blayne Olsen

--
Anne L. Olsen