Merchants Millpond snakes

Some reassurance:

In the 20+ years we've regularly birded Merchants
Millpond we've never stighted a cottonmouth snake, and
very seldom any other species of snake. Never a
poisonous one at all. Oddly, we've never had any
biting insects bother us ON THE MILLPOND IN A
CANOE--does anyone know why they don't venture out
over the water?

Some have asked where this great place is. It is a
state park in N.eastern NC. The closest town is
Sunbury. The park can be reached from US 158, NC 32
and NC 37. It is about 30 mi. from the towns of
Edenton, Elizabeth City and Ahoskie.

Great birding there and seek out Floyd Williams, a
champion birder who is a ranger there.

linda

=====
--Linda Jeannette Ward