Catawba County IMBD

Yesterday was the 4th annual Spring Count (or International Migratory Bird
Day) here in Catawba County.  Participation was down from last year so we
tried to concentrate the three parties along the northern and eastern sides
of the county---all of which follow the Catawba River.  Our thanks go out to
Danny Cartner, Joel Keebler, Guy & Arlene McGrane, and James & Shelby Teague
who devoted their time for the cause.  Dom D'Ostilio, Linda Gilbert and
Andrea Bruns also turned in birds from around their homes.

It was quite a long day for Dwayne and I----18 and a half hours of almost
non-stop birding----but our efforts paid off and by the end of the day we
had tallied 101 species and 2,472 individuals counted!  The biggest and best
surprise awaited us on an e-mail when we got home.  David Campbell was
scouring the wetlands at Riverbend Park yesterday identifying sedges and
rushes when he spooked out a LEAST BITTERN.  As far as we know, this is a
first county record and quite a thrill to be able to count for the day's
tally.  Other birds of note this year included:

Common Loon--a little late but not that unusual as we've had them on one
other count

Bald Eagle--two seen soaring over Lookout Dam.  One's been hanging around
Lookout Shoals Lake since March---maybe we should start looking for a nest!

Wild Turkey--three seen in the traditional spot on Highway 10

American Coot--one at Glenn Hilton Park, one over-summers here almost
annually

Ring-billed Gull--one lingering on Lake Hickory

Eurasian Collared-Dove--5 seen!  Our population seems to be expanding in
Conover--don't know if that's good or not.

Red-headed Woodpecker--one was a surprise on Stagecoach Road in Claremont

Fish Crow--continuing to expand into the upper reaches of Lake Hickory with
8 counted

Loggerhead Shrike--only one the entire day----the hardest worked for bird
for us!

Warblers included:  Northern Parula, Yellow Warbler, Pine Warbler, Prairie
Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, American Redstart, Prothonotary Warbler,
Ovenbird, Common Yellowthroat, and Yellow-breasted Chat.  (All assumed
nesters except the Blackpoll.)

Summer Tanager--a first for the count!  One on Baker's Mountain and another
in the yard of Andrea Bruns.
These guys are much more uncommon here than the Scarlets.

Savannah Sparrow--four seen (two in our neighborhood!) were a little late

White-throated Sparrow--only one seen, it too was a little late

Bobolink--twenty counted, but probably much more.  Seen in two separate
wheat fields, one in Vale and one in Claremont

We also had good numbers of Grasshopper Sparrows with 20 individuals
counted!  That is twice that of last year.  Cedar Waxwing was our most
numerous species with 339 counted----totally outnumbering the usual big
number species like Grackle ( with 161 reported) and Starling (with 77
reported).  These numbers may change a little though as we still have one
report out.

Dwayne & Lori Martin
Foothills Bird Club
Claremont, NC