Sparrow help sought

I went to VOA site C this afternoon (because it is near my house) and
saw lots of the expected birds-- blue grosbeaks, common yellowthroats,
etc.  Because I seldom hear any sparrow other than chipping sparrow,
field sparrow or swamp sparrow sing here, I was very interested in a
sparrow song I heard in two locations.  In my mind, it was "one of those
sparrow songs I hear in the mountains, and not a Song Sparrow".  I ran
through the sparrow songs on the Stokes cassette, and it was much closer
to the Vesper Sparrow than anything else.  If I didn't think the Vesper
Sparrow should not be here (even in migration), I would say that was
it.  If I want a way out of saying "Vesper Sparrow", I will say that the
trill at the end was much more regular than the variable trill I hear on
the tape.  The pattern was a whistle quickening to a trill (like the
Vesper Sparrow).  If anyone wants to check it out, I could hear the song
from the parking lot outside the inner fence (at the guard house).  I
would be grateful for any help or even speculations.

John Daughtry
Greenville, NC
cbirds@coastalnet.com