RTHU Nesting Phenology in Carolina Piedmont

HI . . .

Today (18 May), after a 31-day period of no unbanded Ruby-throated
Hummingbirds of either sex, I captured two adult females with
apparent brood patches. Both were snared in mist nets and NOT in any
of the pull-string traps that account for 95% of my captures.

The implication is that the first chicks are hatching and that the
females are out and about looking for food to fill the gaping maws of
their new offspring. This seems like a reasonable assumption since
the first female RTHU were seen this year at Hilton Pond Center for
Piedmont Natural History on 23 March. Allowing a few days for
courtship and nest building, this week is about when we might
anticipate hatch out here in north central South Carolina.
(Unfortunately, I have found no nests to confirm my speculations.)

It would be interesting to compare this phenology with that observed
by banders and other hummer watchers further south, and further
north. What have you found?

Happy Hummingbird Watching!

BILL
--

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

Please visit our web sites at http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.