Banding in the Sandhills of NC

Hello!

I wanted to update folks on the banding we have done here in the NC
Sandhills (Moore County) lately.  MAPS is just getting started on Ft. Bragg
and we have had average numbers (15-20 birds per morning) and nothing that
unusual at our six sites.  The second round of banding will begin this week.
So far we have caught one breeding male Bachman's Sparrow (last year we
caught a total of 4 over the season).  We have had a few migrants of course:
Magnolia Warblers, Northern Waterthrushes, and a Black-throated Blue
Warbler.

Our first season of migration banding at Weymouth Woods State Nature
Preserve (Southern Pines) was rather slow-- just as it was elsewhere.  We
caught a total of 26 birds in our seven nets over 8 mornings of
mist-netting:

Hairy Woodpecker-1
Wood Thrush-2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet-1
Tufted Titmouse-1
Northern Cardinal-3
Carolina Wren-2
Brown Thrasher-1
Great Crested Flycatcher-2
Blue Gray Gnatcatcher-2
Common Yellowthroat-1
Worm-eating Warbler-1
Black-throated Blue Warbler-2
Kentucky Warbler-2
Swainson's Warbler-1
White-throated Sparrow-1

It was an interesting start.  Now we are planning the placement of
additional net lanes for fall migration.  We hope to band at least once a
week every spring (March 15-May 15) and fall (Aug. 15- Oct. 15) at the park
from here on out.

Enjoy the breeding season!

Susan Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC