OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER

This morning while birding in an area of Southern Shores (in Dare County)
that I discovered last May, I spotted an Olive-sided Flycatcher. It was
perched on a snag, white tufts sticking out like cotton balls! I watched it
for two hours (except for 15 minutes on the phone), and then felt I needed
to go to work. Lee Yoder came and confirmed the I.D. The directions are as
follows:
	Traveling north on hwy 158 (the "by-pass road") take the right-hand turn at
Southern Shores to continue up the beach towards Duck. This is hwy 12. At
4.6 miles from that intersection, look on the left hand side of the road for
a sign which reads "Founder's Ridge." The sign is white with red letters.
Turn left there and park at the small cemetery near the bottom of the hill.
Walk the rest of the way to the end of the road (only a hundred yards at
most) and look for a small cut-through to the next road over. There are a
pile of boards laying there in the vegetation - watch out for nails! If you
look left as you walk around the boards you will see some snags up high.
This is where I left the bird at 9:50a.m. It has primarily been in this
spot, although it has perched in other nearby bare branches also. There are
also some Pewees around this area which provide a good comparison. Good
luck!
	Jeff Lewis
	Manteo, NC