Southport Dickcissels

Hi Folks,

On Saturday I was checking to see if the Dickcissel found last year near
Southport was present again this year. It was! While I was there, I found a
male and female obviously paired and observed breeding behavior such as
copulation and the female repeatedly carrying nesting material to one spot!
Needless to say, breeding by this species that close to the coast is pretty
unusual for our area. Hopefully someone will be able check on these birds
regularly and hopefully get more definitive breeding documentation. The area
is reached by driving north out of Southport on the Ferry road. Continue past
the ferry entrance and where the road dead-ends, turn right onto Shepard Rd.
The Dickcissel territory is only about .2 mile. The male was singing from the
wire and the tallest shrub on the opposite side of the road.

Also, after finishing my BBS route, I had an adult Broad-winged Hawk in the
Green Swamp Sunday. The location was along NC 211 just south of the Honey
Island area which is near the Columbus County Line. Broad-wingeds have been
found in the Swamp before, but they are still considered locally unusual.

Good birding to everyone, later, Ricky

Ricky Davis
608 Smallwood Drive
Rocky Mount, NC 27804