Willow Flycatchers

Just to add to Steve's note about anyone interested in Willow Flycatchers in
Henderson County, there are actually quite a few reliable places to find them.
They have become rather common in certain areas.  The most
concentrated population is in the Mills River area of the county along in the
farm fields along the French Broad River.  They seem to prefer shrubby ditches
with few, if any, trees.  Thick shrubs, not grass, is best.
	Some of the most concentrated populations are on private land along the
river, but if  you take the airport exit off I-26 onto NC 280 and turn towards
the airport,  you can start finding them
around where North Mills River Rd and Jeffries Rd cross NC 280.  Check both
sides of the road at this corner and behind the Quality Gas Station.  For more,
turn onto Jeffries Road and continue down to Hooper Lane.  You may hear some
off the road on the right, but it is difficult to stop here, so stop at Hooper
Lane.  There are some in the first ditch on Hooper Lane at the bridge and some
in the hedgerow just past Hooper Lane on Jeffries Road. If you continue down
Jeffries Road there are some in the last ditch on the right at the power
transformer station.
	They are pretty easy to find, normally, as they sing from open perches
at the tops of the shrubs.  I have run into them in other locations as well.  I
know last year there were some off Upward Road in the eastern part of the
county.  I haven't been over there this year, but I would assume they are still
there.  There used to be more on Hooper Lane before they cleared all ditches of
every stick and blade and vegetation.  I also had some at two locations on my
breeding bird survey last year.  I'll find out if they are still there when I
run it this year.
	Anyway, besides Jackson Park, any of these locations should net you
some Willows.
Marilyn Westphal/Hendersonville, NC
mjwestphal@unca.edu