Willow Flycatchers

Just a comment on the Willow/Alder Flycatcher discussion.  As we have good
numbers of Willow Flycatchers in Henderson County, NC throughout the spring
and summer and have found nests here, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised
if they weren't also spreading down into upstate SC just across the border
from Henderson County.  One small correction, the entire French Broad River
watershed is in western North Carolina and in Tennessee (sorry to be picky,
but rivers and streams are my business), but I would think that Willow
Flycatchers might be found along the Pacolet and Broad River watersheds in
upstate SC. In fact, I would bet money that they are in the Landrum area of
SC.
  The flycatchers heard on the CawCaw bird walk certainly sound like Willow.
Most of the Willows at this time of the year sing only early in the morning
and in the evening right up to dark - much later than most other birds sing.
Otherwise, they just do the "weep" thing.
  As for the Willow/Alder differences, there does seem to be some differences
in habitat preference, at least in Western NC.  Willow seem to prefer wet,
shrubby ditches in very open areas with no or few trees, more often in lower
elevation river valleys, but occasionally higher up.  Alders seem to prefer
shrubby/grassy mountain balds (but not heath balds) with some low trees,
especially (no surprise) alders.  I have never heard a breeding Alder
Flycatcher below 3500-4000 feet, but most Willows are around 2000-2500 feet.
  In northern climates where both species can be found in the same area, I
have been told that Alders are usually slightly more upland and away from the
marsh or wet area than Willows.
  I don't know about DNA tests.  Maybe someone else can answer that.
Marilyn Westphal
Hendersonville, NC
mjwestphal@unca.edu