bird call question?

I feel silly not knowing this.  There is a bird I have heard all of my life
(in Columbia, SC) and I've always wandered what it is and I have read bird
call descriptions and listened to bird call recordings and never found it.
I have stalked this bird whenever I hear it and never been able to actually
see it.  Yet I feel it is probably a common bird that I've seen many times
not realizing it.

I have heard it year round but more often in the spring in the evenings.  It
is a very plaintive sounding call.  It is made up of 4 or 5 clear whistles
with a minor sound to them.  Often, the pattern is one note followed by a
note about a musical interval of a 4th above it, and then the remaining
notes stay near that note but get slightly flat each time and waver
slightly.  I think there are other patterns too but they always have that
clear whistled tone with a minor feel and the progressively flatter series.

I feel it is probably a small bird - a warbler or a sparrow, maybe.  Does
anybody know what bird I'm hearing?

Thanks,
Shannon
columbia, SC