Owlet, and Towhee Behavior

My boyfriend and I were on campus in Chapel Hill this evening when the
owlet was out -- what a treat! We got there after he had already made
his way back up the tree, so we didn't realize he had fallen out. We
were hoping just to see one adult, we certainly didn't expect to see the
whole family!

We saw a strange bit of behavior from a male towhee while we were down
at Emerald Isle over the weekend, just wanted to know if anyone else had
ever seen anything like it. This male towhee kept hopping onto the door
of our parked car, right in front of the side mirrors. He would look in
the mirror, then hop on top of it, then hop down again and look in the
mirror. Then he'd hop across the front windshield, and do the same thing
on the side mirror on the other side of the car. He did this four times
while we were packing the car to go home, and in fact he wouldn't move
even when we were opening the trunk of the car and putting things in. He
only moved when we closed the trunk. He wasn't pecking at his reflection
or being aggressive, he just seemed very curious about the mirrors.

Sheila Denn
Chapel Hill, NC
denns@ils.unc.edu